Art & Musics
Art & Culture
Berat is one of the oldest cities in Albania and still bears traces of its many periods — from antiquity to the medieval era to modernity. Located in the southwest of Albania, next to the Osum River, it is surrounded by mountains and hills and has a typical Mediterranean climate. Berat was declared a museum city in 1961 for its historical and cultural values and has been part of the UNESCO World Heritage List since 2008.
- The Clock Tower is located in the neighborhood "Dëshmoret e Kombit" and is a replica of the original tower, which was built in the 1870s. The Clock Mosque, which is located very close to the tower, gets its name from it.
- The Water Cistern, or Saranxha as the locals call it, is a ruin that dates back to the 12th century. The architectural style and size of the structure make it one of the most interesting objects in the center of Berat's castle on the highest point of the Acropolis.
- "Sarajet e Vrionasve" is a collection of buildings from the Vrionas family's late-18th-century residential complex. It is located in the center of the Mangalem quarter.
- The Mbrica Museum is a private museum in the Kala neighborhood housed in a unique lodgement. This museum displays tools and historical jewelry items made by members of this family, who are known in Berat as artisans in the manufacture of precious metals.
- The "Edward Lear" art gallery, which opened in 1994, is located near the Margarita Tutulani Cultural Center. Its four halls mainly feature works of visual arts by local and international authors.
- The Lead Mosque dates from the 16th century and is located in the city center. It is one of the most beautiful mosques in the city and is located very close to the new Cathedral of St. Demetrius, demonstrating religious tolerance and peaceful coexistence between different religions, which has been a hallmark of this city for centuries.
- The Church of St. Spyridon is a basilica that was rebuilt in 1864 which is located in the heart of the Gorica neighborhood. It is one of the most beautiful places of worship in the city due to its architecture and decoration style.
Also Check Out
Subscribe for the latest news on Berat's events.